Training Guidelines for Foster, Kin & Adoptive Families
You may enroll in and register for any class. All classes are free.
When you attempt to register for a class date that is full, you will be placed on the waitlist. If a seat in the class becomes available, you will be moved to registered status and will receive a confirmation email that will include a calendar invite.
Certification Training for CaregiversIn the interest of providing the very best child welfare services to the children, youth, and families served through the child welfare system, allowing professionals and community partners to attend CWTS trainings is invaluable. It is also necessary for the CWTS to ensure priority seating is made available for new caregivers who are required to complete preservice training before they are able to have a foster child/youth in their home. The maximum learner capacity for training is set with consideration to several factors: maximizing the training experience for the adult learner, maintaining an opportunity for the transfer of learning to occur, and protecting the learning environment in a manner that allows learners to be fully engaged and included in the learning process. Therefore, registration for CWTS trainings is not to exceed the stated capacity. When demand for preservice training exceeds capacity, a waitlist will be created. When there is at least one person on a preservice training waitlist, the training provider will assess registration and prioritize participation. Participation will be prioritized according to the following criteria, in the order listed:
- Newly recruited foster parents who must complete the preservice training to begin their caregiving duties
- Learners who wish to complete preservice training for cross-training or auditing purposes
If all registrants are in a single priority category, priority is determined based on the date and time they registered for the training through the CWTS LMS. Prioritized waitlisted learners who are being moved into the class will be contacted by the training provider to inform them that they have been added to the registered list.
In-Service Training for CaregiversIn-service training courses are open for registration by anyone within the Colorado child welfare system. In general, in-service course registration and waitlists follow a first-come, first-served order, based on the date and time a learner registered. However, CWTS may determine that a more rigorous prioritization order may be needed to best meet learners’ needs for certain courses. In that event, CWTS will work with the provider to determine final registrants and notify all affected learners.
- Some CWTS courses include a web-based component or other prework assignment that must be completed before the classroom training begins. You’ll find this information in the course description and on your confirmation email.
- If you’re not able to complete the web-based component prior to the day the classroom training starts, please drop the class and register for another class at a later date.
- You’ll receive a confirmation email when you register for a class and a reminder email one week before the training. Occasionally, rooms or other logistical information change after you’ve registered, so please read through your reminder email.
Our commitment to you: CWTS trainers will make every effort to create learning environments that maximize technology, are culturally inclusive, and appreciative of the unique learning needs of adults. You can count on us to deliver cutting-edge content while engaging with you in energized and intelligent ways.
Our expectations of you: Read the full list of learner expectations.
- You will receive training credit hours as soon as you complete all components of the course, including the post-test and evaluation.
- Partial training hours are not granted. To earn training hours, all components of the course must be completed satisfactorily. Your training facilitator will make this determination for seminar attendance; depending on how much class time and content is missed, you may be assigned makeup homework or you may be required to attend the class at a later date.
- If fewer than six learners are registered within two weeks of an in-service or SAFE training, the class will be cancelled and you will receive an email notification.
- If fewer than four learners are registered within one week of a preservice class, the class may be cancelled and you will receive an email notification.
- We make every effort to reschedule cancelled classes. The training provider will be in touch by email to let you know when the class will be offered.
Your safety is our top priority, and we do not want you traveling when weather-related road conditions make it unsafe for you to travel to and from training. When bad weather is anticipated, a decision about whether an in-person training will be held or cancelled will be made the day before the training. Please ensure your LMS profile is up to date with your emergency contact information.
When dangerous weather conditions are impending, training providers may change an in-person delivery to a virtual delivery and will provide a Zoom link accordingly.